Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Today's Pot Luck Lunch



For today’s pot luck lunch I raided the refrigerator and used up stuff to make huevos rancheros:
  
Ezekiel sprouted wheat tortillas (My friend Deb Welzel turned me on to these) 
half a can of Fritos bean dip
green onions
shredded Mexican cheese blend
half a jar of 505 Southwest green chili sauce
2 eggs 
a sprig of cilantro (only a little past its prime...) 
 
I smeared a bunch of bean dip on two tortillas, then sprinkled a few cut up green onions over.  These I microwaved, one at a time, each on their own plate, until the cheese melted.  Meanwhile, I fried up the eggs, over easy.  Heated up the remaining green chili sauce, adding just a touch of water, and poured it over the cheesy bean tortilla.  Topped it with an egg, and there you have it: a hearty lunch for two.

I learned my pot luck skills from my mother, my aunts, and my grandmothers, who could make delicious meals out of thin air.  While I don' think I ever had huevos rancheros growing up in Maryland, in the 1950's and '60s, I learned to be creative with what was on hand. 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment