Sunday, May 10, 2009

default pasta -- one of my favorites


If I were a condemned man and walking the green mile tomorrow, I'd choose spaghetti with red sauce as my last meal. Oh yeah. My sister Bonnie's is the best, oh, and Aunt Carol's, hers too. But I can make a pretty good pot of "sketty" myself, especially when I don't have many ingredients. Seriously, I love a challenge.

When we have nothing left and I need to go shopping but don't feel like it, and neither of us wants to go out, pasta is the default meal. And one of my favorites.

Tonight's is vegetarian; here's what I have on hand:

1/2 onion, chopped
garlic, chopped
half a jar of tomato sauce (the brand is Classico; garlic and tomato)
tomato paste (makes for a richer taste and is loaded with licopene and other good stuff)
sun-dried tomatoes (have you noticed I'm a big fan of tomatoes?)
canned mushrooms, drained
oregano
splash of red wine
Parmesan cheese

spaghetti

Saute the chopped onion and garlic. Add canned, sliced mushrooms. Then add oregano and any other spices. Put in the sauce, the tomato paste. When blended, add some water, until you get the desired consistency. Also add a splash of wine. By now you should be drinking some yourself.

Tonight I'm drinking a Clos du Bois Sonoma Reserve Merlot, given to me for Mother's Day from my kids. (It's a pleasure if you live long enough to have your kids give you bottles of wine instead of sneaking bottles of your wine for themselves.)

Boil your water, cook your pasta, add the sauce and top with grated Parmesan cheese. Of course salad goes well, but if you don't have any veggies in the house tonight, you're getting loads of good nutrients from the tomatoes, garlic, and onion. And of course, the red wine.

bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment