Tuesday, May 5, 2009

impromptu potato salad



I've been jonesing for some warm homemade potato salad so last night I boiled up a bunch of small gold and red potatoes, wee little things, cut in half but not peeled. Served beef stew over a few of them last night, put the rest in the refrigerator until today.

This morning, I'm looking for Bobo's homemade mayo recipe, can't find it. I go online, and find some close approximations, but not like hers. Hers had butter. So I improvise.

I melt 4 tbsp. butter in a pot
Then I add:
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp flour
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp coarse mustard from the jar
2 eggs, beaten

This I stir over low to medium heat until it thickens. Then I add the halved potatoes (already cooked). Then I add two green onions, sliced. And one hard-boiled egg, diced. Then I get inspired, microwave two slices of bacon, crumble it and mix in. If only I had some Gorgonzola, I'd crumble some of that on top.

Eat warm, with a beer. Great lunch!

1 comment: