Monday, May 11, 2009

Dip to die for


Growing up in Maryland, I scarecly knew what an artichoke was. California was a foreign land. I lived quite happily in my ignorance; after all, we had Maryland Blue crabs, Chesapeake Bay oysters, home-grown tomatoes, and wild asparagus growing in our yard. Still, I'm glad I was eventually introduced to the Artichoke.

This recipe (rich in fiber, potassium, and FAT) comes not from the family troves but from the syndicated food section in a newspaper, probably 15 years ago. Whenever I go to a pot-luck, I make this sure winner. With the one exception of a true Maryland Crab Dip, this is THE best dip I've ever tasted.

I suppose you could use fresh hearts instead of canned, but why?

Baked Artichoke Dip

1 can artichoke hearts, drained well
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1 -2 cloves garlic (I'd recommend 2)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp. salt
Dash of Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce

Preheat oven to 400
Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender until creamy.
Scrape into small 3-4 cup capacity oven-proof bowl or small casserole.
Bake at 400 for 15 - 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
Serve warm with hearty bread.

In the unlikely event you should have some left over, you can mix it in with some spaghetti, like a pesto, and finish it off for lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment